Now that you’ve gone to our website and purchased the perfect area rug, you may be wondering about the proper way to clean it. Keeping your rug clean, and doing so correctly, will extend the life of your rug and allow you to enjoy it without frays and fades for many, many years. Here are some cleaning tips to making sure your rug is around for a long time. Do take note, however, that all cleaning ideas are based on the type of material that your rug is made out of. Make sure you know the type of material and clean accordingly.
- Vacuum regularly. No matter what type of rug you have, keeping the dirt from being ground in is crucial to extending the life of the rug. So vacuum at least once a week, more often if you have high foot traffic.
- For more thorough cleanings, flip the rug over and vacuum the bottom of the rug. This will loosen up the dirt that’s in the rug. Once done, flip it back over and vacuumed the top.
- Don’t beat your rugs. You may have been exposed to this in the past or viewed it on movies, but beating your rugs will only loosen the fibers and harm the backing of the rug, causing it to come apart over time.
- Do not vacuum over fringes. Doing so will pull the fringes up into the vacuum, causing them to break and tear. The best way to clean the fringe is to use a gentler tool on your vacuum cleaner, a light brush or curtain cleaning tool.
- Pick up spills right away. The best way to get a spill off the carpet is to blot it with a towel. Place a towel over the spill and apply pressure. If you need something more powerful, use a gentle cleaning solution of vinegar and water. You may want to spot check the solution first to make sure the colors don’t fade.
- Get your carpet professionally cleaned every year or so, depending on foot traffic. Find a cleaner who does area rugs, and has good recommendations for area rug cleaning. Not everyone who cleans rugs has been properly trained in area rugs, so do a little research to find the perfect candidate.
In addition to these steps, it is recommended to avoid prolong sunlight as it may fade the colors of your area rug. It is also a good idea to rotate your rugs every six months to balance the wear.
Following these tips will keep your rug looking fantastic for years to come. The more you take care of your area rug, the longer you’ll have it. In case your rug is passed the point of cleaning and is time to buy a new rug, don’t miss our area rug sale, plus free shipping on everything. If you have any question about area rugs, please contact us today. We’ll be happy to help.