Karastan rugs has announced that its manufacturing plant in Eden, NC has achieved ISO 14001 certification with the International Organization for Standardization. Karastan’s spinning and worsted wool facilities in Greenville, NC have receive this prestigious environmental certification. Karastan wool rugs are one of the best sellers among “green area rugs.”
ISO 14001 is an environmental management standard (EMS) that specifies a set of procedures and requirements. The purpose of this standard is to help organizations become more environmentally friendly. Some of the benefits of an ISO 14001 include:
- Encourages organizations to improve in overall environmental performance and compliance
- Provides a set of protocols for using pollution prevention practices to meet EMS standards and objectives
- Cost savings when managing environmental obligations and increase efficiency.
- Promotes consistency in managing environmental obligations.
- Advances effective targeting of scarce environmental management resources.
- Gives consumers the reassurance they need that the organization’s environmentally friendly claims are valid.
“Conformity to ISO 14001 standards benefits the environment, our company and our customers,” says Scott Mair, director of manufacturing for Karastan. “By making environmentalism a priority, we constantly strive to find better and more efficient ways to meet our eco-goals. These efforts are reflected in products with environmental value and selling power that sets our customers apart.”
Karastan is also proud that all New Zealand wool it uses is scoured by a company that meets stringent Environmental Choice New Zealand specifications.